Summer is coming. The smell of honeysuckles is in the air, butterflies are fluttering here and there, and the sun is shining hot and bright. I love summer. Not just the days spent on the water, traveling, and mornings in the garden, but also the casual dress code and low maintenance beauty routine. Summer beauty to me should be like French beauty, effortless and easy. Here are my summer beauty tips:
1. Sunscreen – In summertime it is essential to start your day off with sunscreen. I love SkinCeuticals Sheer Physical UV Defense Sunscreen. This weightless sunscreen provides water-resistant protection while its color-infused technology enhances skin tone and boosts daily radiance, SkinCeuticals Sheer Physical UV Defense Sunscreen $65.
2. Rose water – During summer, rose water is my faithful friend, caring for my skin like no other. Spray rose water mist on your face to instantly freshen your skin. Rose water is an ancient remedy and just as the name implies it is rose petals and water. Rose water is naturally hydrating, adding radiance and glow. You can make rose water by boiling rose petals in water or you can buy one like the steam-distilled Organic Bulgarian Rose Water $25.95.
3. Dry Shampoo – The best way to get beautiful beach hair – don’t wash it every day! Did you know French women wash their hair every 2 to 3 days and rarely use conditioner? For summer a dry shampoo like Unite 7seconds Refresher can leave your hair so fresh and so clean in 7 seconds. Spray liberally from roots to end while fluffing throughout your hair, Unite 7seconds Refresher $28.75.
4. Tinted Moisturizer – Let your summer glow show with an easy to wear tinted moisturizer. I use Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer, this lightweight formula is perfect for summer while also using antioxidants to fight against the most aggressive environments, Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer $44 at Belk.
5. A Summer Scent – As my grandmother would say, “Every girl needs a signature scent.” Oh Coqui Coqui how I could write an ode to you and your unbelievably intoxicating scents. One whiff of Coqui Coqui’s Tabaco scent and my thoughts defining perfume completely changed. Coqui Coqui uses natural elements surrounding their perfumeries in the Yucatan Peninsula to create fragrances like tabaco, orange blossom, and so many more. If you have a chance to visit their perfumery in Valladolid I highly recommend it, it is one of the most charming, sexiest places I’ve ever been to, Coqui Coqui Perfume can be found on Net-A-Porter $60.
6. Cucumber – Did you know cucumbers are naturally hydrating and one of the best things you can eat for your skin? There is a reason people put them one their eyes and a reason they are included in so many skincare products. If you want happy skin, cucumber is the answer. Due to its cooling effect it can be termed as a magic wand for all your skin problems. Its cleansing property helps your skin making it soft and supple. For your hair, cucumber helps to make it shiny and silky. The regular intake of cucumber juice is very useful both internally and externally. Almost everyday in summertime I dice up a cucumber and put it in ice water and let is sit for about 15 minutes then drink.
7. Retinol At Night – I know its summer and you may want to stop the retinol use, but do not. Use your retinol at night and a sunscreen in the morning with a spf 50. I use Obagi’s Tretinoin from SkinWellness Center of Alabama.
8. Exfoliate – During summer it is essential to exfoliate your face, your body, your feet, your lips, and your bikini area to get rid of flaky skin, keep your skin looking fresh, and prevent in grown hairs. For face I use Aveeno Clear Complexion Cream Cleanser $12.59 at Target which gently exfoliates and prevents breakouts. For body I use Illume Cactus Verde Lathering Body Scrub $24, it is natural with a creamy texture that leaves my skin feeling so smooth that I use 3 times a week. For feet I use Kiss My Face Peppermint Foot Scrub $8.95 all natural and a nice price tag. For lips I use Fresh Sugar Lip Polish $22.50, it keeps that dry flaky skin that can wreak havoc on your lips during summer away. For the bikini area I love Soften Her $11.99, an innovative product that is a small pad you use to exfoliate your bikini area, legs, or underarms to prevent prickly hairs from growing back leaving skin feeling smooth and soft. This can prolong time in between your bikini wax treatments too!
9. Sea Salt Spray – I love applying Davines Sea Salt Spray to my hair after I shampoo it for a natural beachy look. It gives my hair body and the smell is like an ocean breeze, Davines Sea Salt Spray $27.
10. Mask Time – One of the advantages of summer, more time to play spa. I enjoy having a little more time to indulge and treat my skin whether its cucumber slices over the eyes or using a mask. Masque Bar by LookBeauty Pore Refining Creme Mask $9.99 is my favorite and it comes in a pack of 4 – these masks minimize the appearance of pores while moisturizing and exfoliating. There’s that word ‘exfoliate’ again – such an important word for summertime! A nice skin indulgence at the end of a long summer day.
This month’s beauty bits is full of great beauty recommendations: