What better food to enjoy this Lenten season than Lentils, an ancient food that is low in calories but high in nutrition. This meatless choice helps reduce cholesterol, improves heart health, helps prevent digestive disorders, encourages weight loss, increases energy, and is a high source of protein. Here is a veggie packed recipe for Lentil Soup. #wellnesswednesday #plantbased #eattherainbow
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium red onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
1 large carrot or two medium size carrots, diced
2 medium sized potatoes, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup diced fresh tomatoes or 1 can 16oz can diced tomatoes and drain the liquid
1 cup dried lentils, picked over, rinsed and dried
1 Tbsp garam masala
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
Salt & pepper to taste (I use 3/4 teaspoon sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper)
6 cups vegetable broth
1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
2-3 sprigs thyme, to be removed at the end
1 cup collards, roughly chopped
- In a large heavy bottom pot over medium high heat add olive oil. Add in onions, celery, carrot, potatoes, and minced garlic. Stir together and allow to sweat for about 6-8 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes, lentils, garam masala, cayenne, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir together.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, yellow bell pepper, and thyme and stir.
- Bring to a boil, and then to a simmer for 30 minutes, until lentils are fully cooked.
- Remove the thyme. Scoop out two cups of soup (with liquid) and pour into your Vitamix or blender. If you have a glass blender, make sure to allow time to cool. Blend until fully pureed.
- Pour back into soup pot, add in collards and mix the soup together one more time to combine everything. Let sit for a few minutes. Serve and enjoy!