Madeline Sandlin, owner of Finery in Huntsville, Alabama, has an eye for beautiful gowns and a passion for life. Whether its travel, style, music, books, or art – Madeline thrives off life’s experiences. We interviewed this girl boss to find out where her inspiration comes from and seek her advice to other women.
1. What inspires you about waking up each morning? Passion and purpose.
2. What inspired your store? I was generally uninspired by what was being mass marketed. I wanted to create a place that not only brought back the nostalgia of shopping for a wedding gown but offers an experience for women who don’t identify with mainstream aesthetic. In a sense, I felt like there was a “cool factor” that was lacking in the the world of bridal.
3. How does your family inspire you? My father always said there’s no substitute for experience. You must have experience and be open to experience. You have to be yourself and be who you are and take time to be open and honest with yourself.
4. What is your favorite place in the world? So far, Morocco.
5. What advice would you give women going through life’s trials and tribulations? Stop comparing yourself, your relationships or your career to someone else’s. It’s wasted energy. It’s perfectly ok not to be able to do it all! Enjoy the ride, otherwise none of it is worth it.
6. How do we begin to seek a better life? Embrace the one you are in! Quality over quantity, baby!
7. Describe your personal style? I’m a hopeless romantic. I buy things because I love them. I typically go for anything that is a bit unhinged-unexpected, whether its a bold print or pairing a leather jacket with a cocktail dress. I appreciate a good juxtaposition between tattered and tailored. Mostly, I just like to look considered and not contrived.
8. What did you wear as a child? My style could be defined as “Parisian Punky Brewster”. I specifically remember wearing berets and little military jackets with mini skirts + suspenders + tights and Chuck Taylors. Think 80’s cult band Duran Duran meets Espirit and had a baby.”
9. What is your favorite quote? “Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words.”-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
10. Advice to women in their 20s. Follow your dreams and live with some soul.
Don’t take rejection personally-it takes a lot of no’s to get the right yes.
Learn the art of conversation.
Put your cell phone down.
Best, Madeline A. Sandlin
F I N E R Y a bridal boutique
109 JEFFERSON STREET | SUITE 12
HUNTSVILLE, AL 35801
FINERY defined | Located in historic downtown Huntsville, Alabama Finery’s aesthetic displays an unabashed marriage of Parisian parlor meets Rock & Roll attitude. The Finery bride is classic and modern; traditional and progressive; new and old ; respectful and rebellious. We’re not just the sum of our parts or the simple mash up of our overlapping sensibilities. Finery blends the best of many unique elements and ideas into an emporium of essentials for the cool bride.