Chef gets first bite right?✨It’s Satsuma season and anyone who lives in South Alabama or along the Gulf Coast knows that these little orange dreams can compete for the sweetest citrus. With two big bags of Satsumas and a love for ice box pie, I decided to use my favorite Lemon Ice Box Pie recipe, insert Satsuma juice, and voila!
Satsuma Ice Box Pie
2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
8-10 tbsp butter, melted
1 1/2 cups fresh Satsuma juice
1/2 cup Meyer lemon juice
2 14 oz cans sweetened condensed milk
5 large egg yolks
Zest of 1 Orange
Zest of 1/2 Lemon
Homemade Whipped Cream or Chantilly Cream
– Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
– Grease pie pan.
– Mix together graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter.
– Press graham cracker mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9 inch pie pan to make the crust.
– In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and sweetened condensed milk. In a large bowl, beat the lemon zest and egg yolks on high until pale. Add sweetened condensed milk mixture to egg mixture and beat until smooth. Pour filling into the pie crust.
– Bake the pie for about 25 minutes. The edges should be set.