Coco Chanel once said that a woman should apply perfume to those places she would like to be kissed, how very French, but the fact is perfume may smell delicious but it does not taste very good. Perfumery is an art involving thousands of ingredients and perfume application should be subtle, delicate, and sexy. Marilyn Monroe is famously noted for wearing nothing but Chanel No.5 to bed, though this may be an enticing way to slip under the sheets, daily perfume wearing involves clothes, interactions with various people, and temperature fluctuation therefore there are ways to more effectively wear your perfume:
1. The Pulse Points – These areas are locations on the body where the blood vessels are closer to the skin and will react with your body heat throughout the day continuing to emit fragrance. Pulse points include:
- Inner Elbow
- Back of the Knee
- Behind the Ears
2. To Dab or Spritz – Whether you dab or spritz always apply perfume before putting on clothes and jewelry as some scents could stain your apparel.
- Wrists – Dab or spritz but do not rub. Rubbing crushes the fragrance.
- Inner Elbow – Dab or spritz. This area is a little more humid reacting to the scent better.
- Back of the Knee – Spritz. This area is also a little more humid reacting to the scent better.
- Neck – Spritz with neck tilted back 20 cm away and let dry.
- Cleavage – Dab onto a cotton ball then apply this area can sweat more than others and too much application of perfume can lead to a more potent smell than expected.
- Behind the Ears – Dab gently.
3. Make It Last – Less is more in the case of fragrances, so before you decide to fumigate the room realize that the very function of perfume is to react with your skin and body heat to emit fragrance throughout the day. There are a few tricks to making it last:
- Use an unscented moisturizer then apply perfume, the extra moisture will help absorb the perfume into the skin.
- Layer products of the same scent. For instance if you have the body lotion matching the perfume apply that before perfume application.
- Mist hair by spraying perfume above head and let fall.
- Take scented paper perfume samples and place them in your under garment drawer.
Our favorite fragrances:
1. Prada Iris Infusion – gorgeous floral scent capturing the beauty of fashion and flowers Bromberg’s Mountain Brook Village (currently on sale)
2. Chanel No.5 – famous, French, and fabulous Saks Fifth Avenue
3. L’Occitane Cherry Blossom – perfect for this time of year while the cherry clossoms are in bloom L’Occitane Stores and online
4. Acqua Di Parma Blu – the beauty of the isle of Capri captured in a bottle Gus Mayer
5. Bond No.9 Central Park West – the new scent from the famous New York Perfumery Gus Mayer
6. Hove Honeysuckle – another scent of the season created in the iconic Southern city of New Orleans Hove Perfumery