On average, women shed about 50 to 100 strands of hair each day. And while this is a natural process, it can be exacerbated for a number of reasons including genetics, stress and diet. While these can be hard to control, other variables like environmental aggressors (i.e. sun) along with heat, styling, and color are easily addressed by making some small adjustments to your hair routine. Joseph Battisti, founder and creative director of the Joseph Battisti Salon in Manhattan, has the skinny on achieving thick, healthy hair without the need of having your stylist on speed dial.
5 Steps to Thicker, Healthier Hair:
· Step 1 – Correct: Every woman wants thicker hair, and this starts in the shower. Begin your routine by cleansing with a shampoo (no more than 2-3 times per week) that contains keratin, a reparative ingredient that essentially replaces the missing and damaged keratin from your hair, helping smooth frizzy, damaged locks. To use, work vigorously into scalp, which promotes blood circulation to the crown of the head, resulting in a healthy scalp, and thus, a healthy head of hair.
· Step 2 – Protect: Whether you curl or straighten your hair daily, heat-protectant products are a must, yet they’re often underused. When applied before styling, not only do these products protect hair from heat damage, but they can also help fend off color fading while making hair look polished. Spritz damp hair with product, work through hair with comb and style as normal.
· Step 3 – Style Without Damaging: When it comes to styling, many women don’t know how to properly seal the cuticle, which can cause breakage and damage. When shopping for a new styling tool, look for those that use ceramic. Unlike old school tools that penetrate hair from the outside in, leading to moisture loss and damage, ceramic tools work exactly the opposite by heating hair evenly from the inside out, allowing women to style hair in less time and with much less damage. Another issue some women may face during styling is figuring out how to cover thin patches and/or roots. Recoloring hair is an option for minimizing these issues, but when done too frequently, color on top of color only gets muddy, leading to scalp damage and hair breakage. Between color treatments, reach for a hair fiber, which uses electromagnetic charges to cling to hair.
· Step 4 – Seal & Forget: As a final step to your routine, seal in your look with lightweight oil. Not only will this help fight against frizz-causing humidity, it can also help condition hair and counterbalance damage cause by chemical processing, heat styling, over brushing and more, leaving hair smooth and under control.
· Step 5 – Bonus: Beauty starts on the inside, and both diet and exercise play an important role in how we outwardly present ourselves. To give your hair a boost, try a beauty supplement – they’ve become all the rage – which helps promote beautiful, healthy hair, skin and nails. But do your homework first. Look for supplements that contain Biotin, an important B vitamin that supports the health of hair, skin and nails.
Step 1: Correct
Keranique Scalp Stimulating Shampoo is a must for anyone with thin and/or damaged hair. Fortified with keratin and panthenol (Pro Vitamin B5), it stimulates through microcirculation while gently cleansing to remove oily build up that blocks pores and inhibits growth of strong, healthy hair. Free of sulfates, parabens and synthetic fragrances, it is specially formulated with proteins to nourish the scalp and leaves hair feeling lighter, cleaner and more buoyant while protecting against current and future cuticle damage.
– Keranique Scalp Stimulating Shampoo: $35 (8 fl. oz.) www.keranique.com
Step 2: Protect
Paul Mitchell Ultimate Color Repair™ Triple Rescue™ implements Dual Phase Technology that provides thermal protection from damage caused by heat styling to help fight against color fade. The top phase forms a heat-resistant seal to shield hair from damage and adds brilliant shine while the bottom phase conditions hair with quinoa color repair so hair looks healthy and vibrant.
– Ultimate Color Repair™ Triple Rescue™ Thermal Protection Spray: $20 (5.1 oz.) www.PaulMitchell.com
Step 3: Perfect
The Remington T-Studio Silk Ceramic Collection implements breakthrough silk ceramic technology for the smoothest and silkiest at-home finish yet. Raw silk is turned into powder through a unique enzyme extraction process that is infused into the coating of the tool’s plates, barrels and grills. The proprietary silk conditioner blend is heat-activated and easily transfers onto hair strands during the styling process for a long-lasting, polished look.
– Silk Slim and Wide Ceramic Straighteners: $35-$38
– Silk Ceramic Heated Clip Setters: $35
– Silk Ceramic Dryer: $33
– Silk Slim and Wide Ceramic Wands: $25-$30
Keranique Instant FX 100% Natural Hair Fibers use electromagnetic forces to natural bond the fibers to existing hair, filling in and reducing the appearance of embarrassing thin patches and roots, giving the appearance of more hair while camouflaging roots between color treatments. In less than 30 seconds, hair appears more radiant, fuller and voluminous. With long-lasting wearability, the fibers hold up all day and are removed easily with Keranique Scalp Stimulating Shampoo.
– Keranique Instant FX 100% Natural Hair Fibers: $40 (22 g) www.Keranique.com
Step 4: Seal & Forget
Moroccanoil Frizz Control contains a special, weightless blend of climate control and water-resistant properties that shield and safeguard hair from the unruliness of the dampest or the driest weather conditions. Moroccanoil Frizz Control counteracts the negative effects of chemical processing, heat styling and excessive brushing, which can leave hair full of kinks while keeping it beautifully smooth, calm and controllable. With just a few light mists, it will repair damaged hair leaving it frizz-free, static-free and healthy.
– Moroccanoil Frizz Control: $33.60 (3.4 fl. oz.) www.moroccanoil.com
Step 5: BONUS for Hair, Skin and Nails
Optimal Solution’s Hair, Skin and Nails formula provides extra strength support for lustrous hair, vibrant skin and strong nails. The softgels feature 5,000 mcg of Biotin, an important B Vitamin that supports skin and hair health, and helps promote healthy nail growth by acting at the base of the nail (the nail matrix), where nail growth begins. Extra Strength Hair, Skin & Nails is the very first formula to include argan oil, hyaluronic acid and antioxidants in a multi-vitamin to specifically target hair, skin and nail health.
– Rapid Release Liquid Soft Gels: $16.49 (150 ct.)
– Strawberry Flavored Gummies: $7.99 (80 ct.)
– Tablets: $7.59 (60 ct.)