I have been taking baths since I was a baby and unlike most people who transition to a shower as a teen, I kept enjoying that warm soaking bath. One Valentine’s Day my husband surprised me when I came home to a candle lit house, Barry White playing through the speakers, the fireplace burning, and a rose petal trail leading to a big bubble bath – he knows me well. To me there’s nothing quite like a warm bath to relax your mind and relieve stress. A bath should also leave your skin touchably soft. Whether you are planning a ‘spa day’ or you just enjoy a soak before bed, MyScoop has steps to create a relaxing, skin reviving bath, plus 3 bath secrets you may not know:
- Candles – Soft candle light is essential for a relaxing bath combine that with a glass of wine and jazz and well you’ve got the recipe for a calming atmosphere. With notes of beachwood, water lily, and sheer musk, Lollia Sleeping Under The Stars immediately transports you to a cozy night $30, Lollialife.com.
- Epsom Salt – The benefits of Epsom salt aren’t just folklore. In fact, numerous studies have demonstrated the profound and wide-ranging benefits of magnesium and sulfate, naturally occurring minerals that are the two major components of Epsom salt. Doctors, celebrities, personal trainers, gardening experts and supermodels have all extolled its virtues. Epsom salt relieves aches and pains, stimulates formation of protein in joints, relaxes the body and mind, improves the absorption of nutrients, exfoliates the skin, fades bruises, and naturally volumizes hair. Add 2 cups to your hot bath and soak for at least 12 minutes.
- Bubbles – L’Occitane’s rich formula of Lavender Foaming Bath offers all the relaxing benefits of Haute-Provence lavender and is MyScoop’s favorite bubble bath. It generously foams in the bath, leaving skin supple, clean and fragrant. Simply pour a small amount under running hot water, $36, L’Occitane.
- Body Scrub – Mio Double Buff uses micro-ground pumice, almond oil, chamomile, vitamin E and aloe vera to create soft, smooth skin with a lovely sheen. Apply to dry skin then hop in the bath, use twice a week, $33 MioSkincare.com.
- Moisturizing Shave – If you’re used to shaving being a drying affair, you’re in for an incredibly luscious surprise. Whish Shave Cream’s thick whip provides a close, moisturizing shave with no drying foam. Its natural ingredients leave your skin soft, smooth, and pampered, $20 Whishbody.com.
- Hair Wash – A moisturizing shampoo to gently cleanse, a moisturizing conditioner to repair, and an intense hydrating treatment to moisturize and smooth dry hair, this trio from evo hair is named the therapist because it brings your hair back to its balanced, healthy state, $24 and up Evohair.com.
- Body Wash – Snow Gardenia Hand and Body Wash from MOR features Juniper berry, ylang-ylang, vanilla and a hint of gardenia that lingers on your skin all day, $26 MorCosmetics.com.
- Body Lotion – As wonderful as that soak is, baths can dehydrate. Make sure to moisturize as soon as you get out so that your skin absorbs that water and stays touchably soft and smooth. Try c.Booth’s 4-in-1 Multi-Action Body Lotion. A potent combo of Alpha Hydroxy Acids removes dead skin cells and evens out skin tone while hydrtaing, fighting off harsh environmental forces, and firming, $8 Urban Outfitters.
- Soft Hands – Crabtree & Evelyn’s English Honey and Peach Blossom is an ultra-moisturizing hand therapy that keeps your hands from looking dry while conditioning cuticles and nails $8 and up Crabtree & Evelyn.
- Bundle Up – Now that you are refreshed and well soaked with soft, smooth skin, it’s time to bundle up in a Tourance Sorbet Robe $98 Beverly Ruff Mountain Brook.
Bath Secret #1: Got a cold? The perfect bath will help! Taking a bath is a powerful way to treat cold symptoms. If you have a runny nose, a bad cough or tired, aching muscles, taking a bath can make you feel better in no time. Sprinkle some Epsom salts for your sinuses and cough, Epsom salts are also known to soothe aching muscles.
Bath Secret #2: If you use the right ingredients, bathing makes you look younger.
It’s true – Epsom salts can take years off your appearance by helping your body defend against climate and UV exposure, genetics, and other elements that speed up the aging process. Not only that, Epsom salts can help your skin repair and restore its youthful smoothness on a cellular level by diminishing signs of aging such as fine lines and uneven skin tone.
Bath Secret #3: Keep that curtain or door closed. After you step into your bath, either partially or completely close the curtain or door. This not only seals in heat (so water takes longer to cool), but it keeps in all that fragrant steam. The steam will open and cleanse the pores in your skin, giving you a youthful, healthy glow.